Friday, March 20, 2009

Traditional Thai Massage



Since returning from my trip to the States I have been suffering with severe leg cramps in my calves. I believe this is the result of sitting for such a long period of time in very cramped conditions.

So yesterday Mee summonsed from a neighboring village a fully trained and licensed masseuse to work the kinks out of me. By the way, she looked nothing like the example depicted in the photograph. Mine looked life a fullback from the NFL with the accompanying missing front tooth. I would also be remiss if I failed to mention that her hands were about the size of catcher’s mitts.

After well over an hour of grinding aches, pains and yes sometimes-sheer terror it was over and as I lay there regaining my strength calmness came over me which is hard to describe. All my muscles were fully relaxed and I seem to have gained a new energy level, at least for awhile.

So, I now have a standing order for these services twice a week. They also tell me after the first few times of bending my legs almost completely backwards that it no longer hurts as much. Time will tell.

Cost you ask. Gas to pick her up and return her home minimal. Direct payment to her 150 baht or about $4.20 at today’s conversion rate. Then of course Mee gave her a snack before she started and breakfast after. Mee lets no one walk away without being fed.

No comments: