Monday, March 23, 2009

Khan Kaen Ram Hospital



Yesterday was Sunday, the day of my every other month visit to check on the vital signs of my various medical conditions and reload my medicine cabinet. As always in these visits there was some confusion on my part, which is typical in my everyday life.


My appointments on this day were with in the Internal Medicine and Urology Departments.


We arrived five minutes before 8 AM, checked in with reception and were direction to the Emergency Room waiting area. Believing that we had heard wrong or the receptionist was wrong we proceeded to the Outpatients Clinic where we normally go and had a seat. Within minutes I heard my name being called from around the corner from where I sat, which was in the direction of the Emergency Room.


It seems that in the name of customer service and to keep patients from prolong waits; this hospital has initialed a policy that if a patient arrived before 8 AM the opening time of the Outpatient Clinic they are directed to the Emergency Room. They then start the process of collecting the necessary samples for any lab work.


Seem sort of awkward for me to be back with all the really sick people and there were lots of them, with each bed occupied that I could see, but it gave them a morning treat of feasting eyes on a real life farang because I got all the customary stares.


After the samples were gathered I then proceeded to the outpatient seating area for the customary wait. After about ten minutes I was called forward to take the remainder of my vitals. It was then off for some morning coffee and something to eat as I had been fasting since the previous evening. There is always about an hour wait for laboratory results.


When I return to the waiting area from my snack I was informed by the nurse that my regular doctor would not be here today but that the Urologist would also do his thing and also act in for the Interest.


All went well except for two things. My weight and pharmacy items. On the positive side all the numbers on the various urine and blood test were within range. Blood pressure was a bit high, but I had just walked up two flights of stairs (for the exercise) just before it was taken.


I still don’t know how much weight I may have lost or if my exercise and dieting obtained any results. When I last weighed on a reliable pair of scales was in Randy’s garage and they put me at 210 pounds or 96.36 kilos. When weighted in Internal Medicine the scales read 93.85 kilos or 206 pounds. But while sitting in the Urology Clinic I jumped on their scales and they read 96 kilos so back to about 210 pounds. I’m going to go with the one’s in Internal Medicine for motivational purposes.


Did have a few problems when we picked up the prescribed medicines from the pharmacy. Seems is though the Urologist could not read the handwriting of the Internist (imagine that, a doctor unable to read a fellow doctors handwriting). Had the wrong dosages on some and the wrong frequency on others. Good thing Mee as with me and checked as I have no idea. I just take what is put before me at the various times of the day.


By the way my PSA test is now at 1.6. It was .06 in May 2006 and .07 in Oct 2007. The Urologist informed me that the limit is 4.0. At that time testing begins but really no danger is suspected until it is in the 10.00 range or higher. Good to know!

No comments: