Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Narrator



A year ago, shortly after moving into our new home I was awaken from a nap one Sunday afternoon with a knock on the door by a local Elementary School English Teacher. The purpose of this surprise visit was to solicit my assistance in helping her with her Summer Continuing Education Program. She wanted me to check the grammar and narrate several children books, which she had written. A fee for services was offered, but I declined payment in hope of fostering good relations with my new neighbors.

After the initial visits to do the recordings I never saw Ms Rawiwan again until about December when she again appeared on my front porch, this time bearing a huge highly frosted cake which she presented in appreciation of my earlier efforts. This I accepted and enjoyed.

It just so happens that my next door neighbor is also a teacher and had noted the visit of Ms Rawiwan so she soon came over to nose about as to why this visit from Ms. Rawiwan. It seems as that just the day before, our neighbor had attended some sort of school conference and had been introduced to Ms Rawiwan who had just won an award and a pay raise in the government school system for her work on the books which I has assisted with.

Fast forward to last Saturday, the day after my return from vacation. Mr. Rawiwan again appears at our door with a basket of fresh fruit and again wants my assistance in editing and narrating several books for her new project. Again a fee was offered and declined. I believe in karma so will get my reward later.

Other than the title shown above the other titles are The Hospital. My Hometown. Our Towns. The Police Station and The Railway Station.

During these events I keep chuckling to myself thinking that Miss Cohen and Miss Robinston my high school English Teachers must be turning in their graves knowing that their number one class clown and total screw up is editing the grammar in children’s books.

No comments: