Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cultural Issues


Almost daily a cultural difference between what I would expect and what happens in Thailand is brought to my attention. I always have good intention of writing about them. However, when I try and recall the incident that I though strange I can’t remember it. Oh, well they say memory is the second thing that goes for us old men.

Anyway, I’m going to attempt to sit down and write them as they occur, posting when I can.

Yesterday the subdivision in which we live had an open house. Their model home was open; there was food, drink, live music, speeches, the works. Really, the owners pulled out all the stops. He even had cute girls in mini-skirts carting visitors back and forth in golf carts showing the property. This event was open to the public and there were banners all over town. It was probably even advertised on the local radio station.

Anyway, the current residents received engraved invitations, very expensive paper, hand delivered and sealed nicely in a scented envelope. First Class.

Now in my culture if you attend such events you do so for the exclusive purpose of partaking of the food and drink, possibly meeting some of your neighbors, enjoying the music, and if the opportunity presents it’s self maybe a casual verbal thank you to the host.

Not so here my dear friends. The host (who wants to use you as a selling tool) has taken the time to give you an invention, even had it hand delivered to you. Therefore, it is culturally correct to give him a small gift in return for his efforts and thinking of you. This gift could be in the form of perhaps a flower arrangement. Thai’s love to give flowers.

When my wife brought this to my attention I could not believe it. When I finally calmed down after my ranting and raving I relented and told her to do whatever was culturally correct in her country. As, it turned out she didn’t do so, as the activities were about over by the time she finally got herself together and went up to the pavilion where it was all going on. There was no time for shopping. Ha ha.

The good news is she did get there in time to enter the drawing and she won a refrigerator (which we have no place to put). Sure wish it had been the large flat screen TV that they also gave way. However, the question now is, are we now in further debt to the owner of our subdivision because we won one of the door prizes?

1 comment:

Eddie said...

Congrats on winning the frig. Maybe you can work a deal to give you a TV of equal value instead of the frig... and be sure and make the request accompanied by flowers.