Friday, April 3, 2009

Finally, Air Conditioning!

This is the unit in the living room section.
Due to brick and cement wall construction cable
runs are external to the wall.


As reported in my last posting, I finally broke down and installed a/c in my living/dining room area.


Believe me this was not an easy decision for an old skinflint like myself. I had been sitting on the fence for a long time until I saw little sweat beads on my seven-month-old nephew’s forehead. That observation left no doubt in my mind as to the decision that had to be made. He is the king of the roost you know.

This is the unit for the dining room area.


So after giving Mee the green light to proceed she then took the bull by the horns and started the search for the best deal. I can always rely upon her to ensure that we get our monies worth in any purchase. No ethnic jokes, but I believe she grew up counting shekels. Also as you probably know, nothing in Asia has a set price and everything is open for the bargaining game (one exception new cars). So the hunt began.


Unable to make a cable run to the breaker
box due to celing layout. So two switches
with breakers were installed for each unit
with remote controls.

There was a slight delay though as we were not sure as to the exact size of the area to be cooled.
With no tape measure and armed only with a 12 inch ruler I set about on hands and knees to make this determination. I then had to convert this information to meters, which hopefully I did
correctly. Turned out to be 45 square meters or 485 square feet.



This is shakey. You can't see but the power
was spliced on to the wires which lead
into the house. Poor duct work.


Mee then hit the phones calling all the local a/c dealers in our little town for prices of which, there were many. Who knew there were so many manufacturers and specific models within a brand? The only thing that that first round of phone calls confirmed was that a 36,000 BTU unit would be needed.


Compressor for the living room area. Up off
the ground so Miss Mee will not have
to avoid when parking in the
carport.


It was now time to look see and collect brochures. After this personal visit she narrowed down the search to two finalists.



Compressor for the dining room area.


The winner was decided when it was learned that they could provide two 18, 000 BTU units for 48,000 baht ($1371.00). They both offered a single 36,000 BTU unit for 58,000 baht ($1657.00). A saving of $286.00 always sounds good to me. By the way the price also includes installation and any parts required for installation like wires and switches.


T connection. Poor workmanship shown.
Will have to repaint to repair.


On thing about Thailand, once the decision is made to purchase the seller normally gets on it right away. They give you no opportunity for buyer’s remorse. In our case, the decision was made at about 4 PM and by 6PM I was enjoying my newfound luxury. Though, neatness and thoroughness in the instillation process may not meet all western professional standards. Labor is cheap and I will have it all cleaned up soon.

No comments: