Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Bull Story

Mr. Money Maker and Brother-In-Law


Getting Ready For Action

A grave injustice has been committed and as a result my father-in-law recently spend two days at my house ranting and raving to his middle daughter, my wife. He had things he just had to get off his chest.

About a year ago, my brother-in-law (my wife’s older sister’s husband) bought a prime stock breeding bull as in investment tool. Along with the bull he built a very nice pen at my in laws home in which to house the animal, along with all the special feeds to make it grow healthy and strong. All this was done, with an eye on making a profit in the future.

As my brother-in-law works for an international company and travels all over Thailand with his company he is seldom home so my father in laws responsibility with this business venture was to tend to the bull. Clean his pen, feed him, exercise him and what every else needed to be taken care of. It was also his responsibility to line up the breeding partners, ensure the act is consummated and collect the money, which by the way is 300 baht per poke so to speak. Quickly a strong bond was formed between animal and caretaker.
I can understand this, If someone was going out and bringing girls home for me on a regular basis back in my yourger day, I would also think they were special.

Well, things haven’t worked out as brother-in-law had anticipated. The village is just too small and there is not much traffic by the house thus the customer base was not broad enough. Thus, on his last trip home, he made the decision to move the bull to his father’s village, which is larger, with a good deal of traffic going through the village. Hopefully, this will generate more business.

Well, father-in-law was beside himself. It’s like his best friend had been taken away. He went on and on as to how he has cared for the bull since birth, that no one else understands the bull and can not provide care for him the way he has done. He feels that no one has considered his or the bulls happiness. Face has been lost.

This went on for the two night that he stayed with us for hour upon hour. Of course he came to our house to spew his wrath as he can’t do so at his home as his daughter (the wife of the brother-in-law lives there) and the Thai way is never to directly confront the problem with the parties involved. Thus, my wife became the conduit.

No the ranting and raving did not bother me. It was carried out in Thai. I just remained in my lazyboy, watched TV and smiled to myself.

The above events took place about one month ago.

Today, my wife informs me that Papa has rented a truck and is going to get the bull and bring it home. Seems as the bull is not happy in its new surroundings, not eating properly and has become ornery. Additionally, there are no more customers at the new location that at the has house. Also, the brothers in laws aged parents are tired to having to deal with the bull, in more ways that one.

Papa is happy again.






No comments: