Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Songkran Comes Knocking



Me, my mother in law and her brohter.


Being the original Mr. Bah Humbug when it comes to Songkran activities I have of course been receiving large amounts of grief by Ms Mee for not visiting her village and participating in the activities. During these fun times I have elected to sit at home in the air conditioning and doing what ever my heart desires.


Well that came to a halt today when no less that nineteen people arrive at my home all transported here in one pickup truck. I guess if Mohammad won't go to the mountain, the mountain will go to Mohammad, or something like that.


After the normal eating and drinking I assumed the place of honor on the front porch as the oldest family member and they all had a go at pouring scented water on my hands and wishing me whatever it is they wished of me. For my part all I was required to do was sit still, let the water trickle through my fingers and tell them thank you.


I consider this a slight victory for me and Thai Culture. I refused to take part in the childish water playing and stuck to my guns for a traditional Songkran activity.

2 comments:

fishoutofwater said...

Sounds like you experienced the essence of the festival. Your extended family honored you with the traditional ceremony. From the picture you looked pretty happy.
Mission accomplished.

Eddie said...

Yes, you do look happy and also embarrassed for some reason.
It is a good picture of you. I stole it for my electronic photo album.